Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Earth Friday


When I woke up this morning and did my usual Facebook check, I noticed that not only is today Good Friday. but it's also Earth Day, which got me thinking. I just finished reading The Case for a Creator not long ago (it's by Lee Strobel) and to get off on a slight tangent...it's a very scientific book dealing with the idea of an intelligent designer vs. darwinism and other evolutionary theories. It has to do with a lot of earthly science and it popped into my head when I was thinking about writing this post. Anyways...Earth Day is all about remembering to take care of the Earth and Good Friday is about remembering that Jesus sacrificed himself for us. The fact that both these remembrances are on the same day causes us to also remember that the Earth that we take for granted is a gift from God. I did some research today on the relationship between taking care of our Earth and obeying God. Here is a short jist of my conclusions:

God created Earth:
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (Genesis 1:1, 31)

God owns the Earth and everything on it and has allowed us to rule it:
"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.' (Genesis 1:26)

God loves and values Earth:
"God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good." (Genesis 1:31)

I think that obviously if God loves and values the Earth, shouldn't we? God tells us to love one another because he loves us, so why shouldn't the Earth be any different? If we look around, not only are people hurting people, but we're destroying the very thing that God gave us to sustain ourselves. 

So today...pray...for Jesus died an excruciating death for you...and plant a tree...because we're killing one the biggest gifts from God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me!