Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wants and Needs

One day we were all walking around Target and we stopped to look at the toys. Klaeyton normally does very well in the store (probably since I'm a firm believer that you have to actually take a child into the store in order to effectively teach them how in act in one). Well this isn't a story about a wild store tantrum, but as we walked by the trains (Klaeyton's new obsession) we hear "Mom, I neeeeed a Thomas." Of course the first thing Matt and I do is laugh because it just sounded so funny. We spent the rest of the trip trying to get Klaeyton to say "I want a Thomas" instead of "I need a Thomas". 


This became an ongoing thing, and we're actually still working on it. Whenever Klaeyton wants something we hear this whiney "I neeeed...such and such." It really made me think because I thought I was doing much better with deciphering the two whenever I, myself speak. Apparently not. But it is nice to have such a cute little boy reminding me that there aren't nearly as many things that I need verses things that I want


And I can firmly say that this is something that I deem so very important in raising a child. Especially in today's society that says we have to have all these material things that ultimately determine our worth. I want Klaeyton to know that God will always provide for what he truly needs but that he has to understand the difference between a need and a want. 


Ultimately, I think we should all step back every day and Thank God that our needs are met and that we have the means to obtain things we want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me!