Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

So we've been confined to the house for the past few days due to the crazy heat wave that has hit Ohio. Our poor little window air conditioning unit is definitely overworking itself. My thermostat has read 84 degrees by five p.m. for the last three days. Maybe I'm being wimpy but it just makes me so tired and unmotivated to do pretty much anything. Today I did take K on some errands with me just to get him out of the house, including a trip to the cruddy old Walmart in Elyria. Only because I heard a little rumor that they're closing and had massive amounts of baby stuff on sale. Well, not only did I find three piece sets for Baby Harden #2 for a buck, I also found some tank tops and t-shirts that should fit over my big belly :) and for super cheap. Score!


Klaeyton amazes me every day. His new thing is to walk around the house with adult shoes on and his pants on his head. You'd think after the first time he ran into a wall that he would learn, but definitely not the case. He thinks it's hilarious. And he now laughs every time Matt wears a shirt as a hat. 


He's signing a lot more. Today he actually wanted to put pants on his legs (even though he already had shorts on) and just brought them to me and signed for help. The visual of his tight pj pants over his huge shorts was nothing short of absolutely goofy. That sign is probably more useful to me than anything. Klaeyton is actually quite a cautious child. While we were at the church picnic last weekend he went down a slide with another mom and she told me it scared him. It was fast and pretty steep and he flew right out coming down. So as I was watching him later on, I saw him get to top of the slide, look all the way over across some grass to me and start signing for help. Everyone else thought he was clapping but I knew exactly what he wanted. So I went down the slide with him and couldn't help but think about how smart my little man is. 


We sing the itsy bitsy spider all the time and yesterday this thought occurred to me. Well, if I put motions to it I bet Klaeyton can mimic them back. He does sign. It's pretty much the same thing right? Duh. So, we're sitting on the couch playing peek-a-boo (which Klaeyton now covers his eyes, of course peeking a little, and then yells BOO as he pulls his hands away) and I start singing the itsy bitsy spider complete with motions. And what do you know, Klaeyton starts doing them back to me. I almost cried. I'm not really sure why, signing has always been a part of what we do. But this was different somehow and at that moment I was so proud of that accomplishment and I couldn't help but think about how many more of those moments I have to come. 


Oh the joy of being an ordinary mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me!