Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Terrible Two's!

I briefly mentioned my younger brother's soccer game last night and the sociableness of my now two year old, but this morning, well, after the morning I've had with Klaeyton, I felt the need to write a real blog :)


First off, seeing Klaeyton cheer my brother on last night melted my heart. The crowd would go crazy and there was Klaeyton, who would drop everything (literally, at one point he threw his candy down) to clap and yell yay! as he looked around at everyone else smiling his biggest smile. It was precious. 


After last night and this morning, I have begun to notice why people call this stage the terrible two's. Obviously, Klaeyton is now two, but even more, he isn't a baby anymore. He is developing his own personality and he's trying to communicate everything his little sponge mind is absorbing. The problem? Sometimes I can't understand what it is he's trying to tell me. I'm thinking maybe we should implement more signs to help eliminate this frustration. 


But not all of it has to do with communication. My little bundle of joy has now learned to test limits and boundaries as well. And he pushes them all day long. I'm thankful we're reading this book for Life Groups called The Power of a Positive Mom. I'm hoping that it gives me newfound energy to stop myself from saying No! all day long and to focus more on praise. 


Ha. And I use to say I didn't want my child to be a praise junkie ( this is a long story, if you'd like to know more about what I'm talking about you'll have to inquire within). Man, I had no idea what I was talking about. I'd rather K be a praise junkie than be a negative nanny. 


My biggest frustration right now is Klaeyton's hitting phase. He hits me, he hits the dog and when he gets really mad, he hits himself. I feel like I've tried everything. I use to get down real low and tell him no and then walk away, but even that isn't working anymore. I think some research is in order. 


Oh the joy of being an ordinary mom. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll bring you To Train Up a Child. I don't agree with everything, but there are some tricks in there that have worked for Pudge and may work for K.

    ReplyDelete

Share with me!