Saturday, June 12, 2010

Yes. I Took My Toddler To A Baseball Game.

Yesterday was full of new adventures. Klaeyton and I hooked up with some friends and first went and checked out Splash Zone. I think we might just be purchasing a membership. I had never seen the outdoor facilities and I have to say I was very impressed. It was very much geared towards children and their "baby" pool was awesome, full of buckets, a huge mushroom and a slide. At first K was skeptical but once I got him in he loved it. I even illegally took him down the kiddie slide (in which I got yelled at by a lifeguard, and now have a bruise on my thigh because it went significantly faster than I was expecting). Even when they called break, Klaeyton was able to entertain himself on the swings and the playground slides that he has become so efficient at climbing. He certainly didn't want to leave, but I am now excited at finding a good summer pool spot for us :)


We were so awesomely invited to enjoy club seats at the Indians game last night. Now of course some people may think I'm crazy for even considering taking a toddler to a baseball game (and don't get me wrong, the idea crossed my mind once or twice) but I can honestly say now that I don't regret my decision one bit. I didn't take his stroller, and it wasn't too far to walk from the parking area to the stadium, so Klaeyton enjoyed the walk (and the occasional ride on mommy's hip when we hit some stairs). When we got into the stadium, I could see K's eyes get big as he took in the sights around him. We ate first. And oh was it wonderful. I was so impressed with how Klaeyton sat in the big chair (they didn't have high chairs, which was my first sign that people probably don't take their young children to club seats) anyway, he sat in this chair and used his fork to eat his hot dog (don't worry I cut it up in tiny bites :) and didn't put one piece of food on the floor. He ended up scarfing 1 1/2 hotdogs before moving on the the ice cream. I've never seen him sit so still for such a long period of time. He diligently consumed his ice cream and half of mine without making a huge mess. Yes, it was a proud moment for me :)


We moved to the seats in the stadium and I honestly was expecting Klaeyton to not let me sit at all, but surprisingly he did quite well. There was the occasional "AAAHHH" that he does when he's mad, and we did get up a lot and walk around and even ventured to the kids area. And yes, I got some dirty looks, but thankfully I'm confident enough as a parent to not really care what people think. But Klaeyton would clap and smile when everyone cheered and until it was well past his bedtime, he was quite manageable. The last little stretch was kind of rough and I knew it was because he was getting tired, but we were determined to stay for the fireworks show, so I gritted my teeth and hung on. 


Oh was it worth it. It got dark in the stadium and K and I were coming back from a diaper change when the first ones went off. I wish I could freeze frame that look on his face. He sat still the entire show in awe pointing and calling the fireworks balloons. I melted. I didn't care if anybody thought I was crazy for bringing a toddler to a baseball game. He loved it. And it was so worth it to watch his face for those twenty minutes. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And I learned even more so that I know what my son is capable of and what I can handle as his mother and we could tackle any baseball game again :)


Oh the joy of being an ordinary mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with me!